CURRICULUM VITAE: December 1, 2016
Curtis J. Bonk
Mobile: (812) 322-curt (2878)
Email(s): email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TravelinEdMan
Ph.D., 1989, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Major: Educational Psychology; Concentrations: Human Learning; Human Development.
Minor: Curriculum and Instruction: Educational Technology.
1984/85, UW-Waukesha and Univ. of WI-Madison Extension, coursework in Psychology.
B.A., 1981, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater; Major: Accounting. (3.83 G.P.A. Magna Cum Laude)
1996 Certification in Distance Education, Indiana University, Continuing Studies Dept.
1983 Certified Public Accountant (CPA) License granted December 16, 1983.
2005-present Professor, Dept. of Instructional Systems
• Adjunct Faculty Member: IU School of Informatics, 2002-present.
• Associate Faculty Member: IU Cognitive Science Program, 1992-present.
and Founder, CourseShare, LLC,
2003-2010 President and Founder, SurveyShare, Inc.,
2003-2005 Professor, Dept. of Counseling and
• Adjunct Member, Instructional Systems Technology Department, 1999-2005.
• Core Member: Center for Research on Learning & Tech (CRLT) 1998-2005.
1997-2003 Associate Professor (tenured in 1997),
Dept. of Counseling and Educ. Psych,
1992-1997 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Counseling
and Educational Psychology,
1989-1992 Assistant Professor,
1987-1988 Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Cur. & Inst, Mainstreaming course, UW-Madison.
1986-1987 Project Assistant, Gifted & Talented Outreach & Madison Extension, UW-Madison.
1984-1986 Assistant Controller, Automated Systems,
1983-1984 Controller, R & J Medical Supply,
1981-1983 Auditor and Tax Accountant, Vrakas Blum,
1978-1980 Production Control Coordinator, Square D
Co. & McQuay Perfex,
Web Software Development and Project Supervision Experience
1999-2015 Web Developer/Supervisor: Various E-Learning Portals and Tools, CourseShare, LLC.
sites developed for sharing articles, presentations, technology tools, various learning portals for the field of instructional and educational technology (e.g., jobs, jobs, graduate program portals), etc. (dozens of staff personally funded and supervised)
Consulting Services: Online and blended learning training and implementation, technology-related research and evaluation, technical report generation, advice on strategic planning, future trend analysis, etc.
Client Base: All educational sectors, including: K-12, higher education, corporate and military, non-profit, government, etc.
Responsibilities: Hired and supervised various individuals involved online learning research and evaluation for various clients.
Other Responsibilities: Hired, supervised, managed those engaged in graphic design, Website development, promotion, etc., of CourseShare, LLC, TrainingShare, and PublicationShare.
Management and Financials/Accounting Duties: Budget estimates and projections, coordinated annual meetings, dealt with vendors and client contracts, etc.
1998-2015 Web Developer/Supervisor, Grant from Continuing Studies Department, Indiana University
The Bobweb: http://www.indiana.edu/~bobweb (Web site for course taught via videoconferencing. Components: creativity, critical thinking, cooperative learning, motivation)
2003-2010 President & Founder, Web Developer/Supervisor: SurveyShare, Inc. (company sold June 2010)
Product: A popular, low-priced Web-based survey tool.
SurveyShare Clients: Over 15,000 survey memberships per year; millions of survey takers per year from all economic or educational sectors.
Funding: Personally funded all start-up costs associated with SurveyShare including tool development, marketing, management, etc., until product became viable.
Responsibilities: Hired, supervised, and managed dozens of employees involved in the development, management, accounting, implementation, marketing, etc. of SurveyShare.
Tool Development: Usability testing, design team coordination, planning, etc., oversaw all tool and feature changes and additions.
Marketing and Promotion: Conference exhibits, product demonstrations, brochures and fliers, email notices, set pricing options, etc.
Management: Negotiated building space and rent, made all technology decisions, etc.
Financials and Accounting: Budget estimates and projections, coordinated annual meetings with Chief Financial Officer, vendor relations, negotiated enterprise client contracts and accounts receivable, etc.
1999-2007 Web Developer/Supervisor: Various E-Learning Portals and Tools (free)
InstructorShare.com, ResourceShare.com, LibraryShare.com, QuizShare.com, BookstoreShare.com, UniversityShare.com, etc.
Audience: Sites developed for sharing resources among college instructors, students, corporate trainers, freelance instructors.
Funding: All the above sites were personally funded.
Hired, Supervised, and Managed: Over 40 programmers and network specialists, trainers, instructional designers, graphic designers, researchers, distance learning specialists (Note: most were graduate students at Indiana University).
Co-Director and Web Site Developer, TICKIT Project, Grant: Arthur Vining
http://www.indiana.edu/~tickit (Teacher Institute for Curriculum Knowledge
about the Integration of Technology; a project for rural
The Smartweb: http://www.indiana.edu/~smartweb (complete undergraduate educational psychology course on the Web: activities, Web links, electronic portfolios, profiles, archives, discussions, peer interaction components, etc.)
1996-2000 Coordinator of
Online Mentoring/Conferencing Program, Grant from
(Conferencing on the Web)/TITLE (The Intraplanetary Teacher Learning Exchange):
(Web site for electronic conferencing of preservice
1999-2000 Web Developer/Supervisor, Contract with Bell
& Howell Learning and
Coursepack: Note: this was the first online reader in Educational Psychology Reader
1998-1999 Web Developer/Supervisor, Contract with Houghton Mifflin Company
INSITE Web site to support textbook, Psychology Applied to Teaching (9th Ed.).
(Note: this is the most comprehensive and interactive Web site for Educational Psychology)
Supervised: 13 content specialists, programmers, and instructional designers.
Responsibilities: Helped conceptualize the project, created and selected content, coordinated work flow, Web design, interactivity features, handled contracts, reviewed and edited all work.
Developer/Supervisor, Grant from Center for Global Change,
The Caseweb: http: //www.indiana/edu/~caseweb (set of cases for educ psychology)
1. P251/254/255 Undergraduate Educational Psychology
2. P540 Learning and Cognition in Education
3. P640 Thinking and Learning in Social Contexts
4. R511 Instructional/Educational Technology Foundations
5. R546 Instructional Strategies for Thinking, Collab, & Motivation
6. R678 Emerging Learning Technologies
7. R685 (Seminar with various titles) including: The World is Open with Web Technology, E-Learning Pedagogy and Evaluation; and Interactive Technology for Learning and Collaboration
Distance Education and Online Learning Course Experiences
1. Web Course (4 times): P251/254/255 undergraduate Ed Psych, 1997-2000.
2. Web Course (5 times): M101/M201 Lab component of Ed Psych, 1997-2000.
3. Web Course (5 times): P540 Learning and Cognition in Education, 2004-2009.
4. Web Course (3 times): R511: Instructional Technology Foundations, 2015-2016.
5. Web Course (1 time): R546: Instructional Strategies for Thinking, Collab, & Motivation, 2009.
6. Web Course (5 times): R678: Emerging Learning Technologies, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.
7. Web Course (3 times): R685: The World is Open with Web Technology, 2010, 2011, 2012.
8. Videoconferencing Course (1 time); IUB & IUPUI, P540 Learning and Cognition in Ed, 2004.
9. Videoconferencing Course (2 times); IUB & IUPUI, P640 Thinking & Lrng in Social Contexts, 2005, 2006.
10. Videoconferencing Course (15 times); P506/R546 Alternative Instructional Strategies, 1996-2016. (including: IU-NW, IUPUI, IU-SE, IU-B, Lebanon Schools, Turkey Run School District)
11. Videoconferencing Course (1995): P600/R685 Interactive Tech for Lrng & Collab, IUPUI & IUB.
12. Videoconf Course (2005 & 2006): P600/R685 E-Learning Pedagogy & Eval, IUPUI & IUB.
13. Helped Design TV-Based Telecourse (with Drs. Robert and Donna Rae Clasen)(1987-88): Teachers Tackle Thinking: Critical Thinking in the Classroom, UW-Madison Outreach and Extension.
14. Massive Open Online Course (MOOC), Blackboard/CourseSites, Instructional Ideas and Technology Tools for Online Success, April-June 2012 (includes 5 synchronous sessions in May 2012), nearly 4,000 people enrolled.
Live Outreach Course Accomplishments
1. Taught in rural
2. Taught in Center Grove School District, Greenwood, Indiana (3 times), P506 Alt. Instructional Strats: Crit, Creat, Coop, Motiv., 1995-97.
3. Taught in Wheeling, WV, EDP300 Advanced Educational Psychology, 1992.
Honors, Awards, and Recognitions
2015-2018 Guest Professor, South China Normal University, Guangzhou, China.
2016 AACE (Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education) Fellowship Award "In Recognition of Outstanding Leadership & Service to the Profession and AACE." Presented at E-Learn 2016—World Conference on E-Learning, November 15, 2016.
2016 AECT Division of Distance Learning (DDL) Distance Education Book Award. 2016 -- First Place. MOOCs and Open Education Around the World, Editors: Curtis J. Bonk, Mimi M. Lee, Thomas C. Reeves, & Thomas H. Reynolds. NY: Routledge. Presented at the 2016 Conference of the Association for Educational Technology and Communications (AECT), Las Vegas, NV.
2016 Outstanding Contribution to eLearning, Global TechLearn Congress and Awards 2016, Taj Lands End, Mumbai, India, June 23, 2016.
2015 AECT Division of Distance Education (DDL) Journal Article Award—Quantitative Based, 2015-Second Place, Presented at the 2015 Conference of the Association for Educational Technology and Communications (AECT), Indianapolis, IN.
Curtis J. Bonk, Mimi Miyoung Lee, Xiaojing Kou, Shuya Xu, and Feng-Ru Sheu (2015). Understanding the Self-Directed Online Learning Preferences, Goals, Achievements, and Challenges of MIT OpenCourseWare Subscribers. Educational Technology and Society, 18(2), 349-368.
2014 Outstanding Contribution to Education, Global TechLearn Congress and Awards 2014, Taj Lands End, Mumbai, India, November 14, 2014.
2014 Mildred B. and Charles A. Wedemeyer Award for Outstanding Practitioner in Distance Education Award; presented at the 30th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching and Learning at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, August 13, 2014.
2012 IAP (Information Age Publishing) DDL Distance Education Journal Article Award, 2012-First Place for “Advancing Practice,” Presented by the Division of Distance Learning of the Association for Educational Technology and Communications (AECT), Louisville, KY.
Curtis J. Bonk, Mimi Miyoung Lee, Nari Kim, & Meng-Fen Grace Lin. (2009). The tensions of transformation in three cross-institutional wikibook projects. The Internet and Higher Education, 12(3-4), 126-135.
2012 IAP (Information Age Publishing) Distance Education Book Award, 2012-Third Place, The World is Open: How Web Technology is Revolutionizing Education, Presented by the Division of Distance Learning of the Association for Educational Technology and Communications (AECT), Louisville, KY.
2009 Trustees' Teaching Award, Indiana University, School of Education.
2009 Executive Committee Chair, Advisory Board, E-Learn Conference--The World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, & Higher Education.
2012-2017 Extended term Visiting Professor, University of Glamorgan, Wales (renamed, the University of South Wales in April 2013).
2007-2012 Named Visiting Professor, University of Glamorgan, Wales.
2005 Trustees' Teaching Award,
2004 Alumni Achievement Award,
2003 The Most Outstanding Achievement by an Individual in Higher Education Award from the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), Washington, DC.
2003-2005 Senior Research
2003 Innovative Teaching Award: Teaching in a
Distance Education Program.
Award, May 17, 2002, Indiana
Award Winner for: “Educational Contribution to IT in Higher Education.”
This award recognizes an
outstanding individual implementing or developing IT educational programs of
post-secondary students in
Hites Mentoring Award, First Recipient,
1999-2003 Senior Research Fellow, U. S. Army Research Institute
1999 Teaching Excellence Recognition Award (TERA),
1998 Teaching Excellence Recognition Award (TERA),
1997 Teaching Excellence Recognition
1992 Zenith Computer Masters of Innovation IV Competition; 1st Place, Category: Literacy. (with Padma Medury, The Future of Tech: Come SAIL Away With Coop Hypermedia)
1989 American Psychological Association Dissertation Research Award.
1978-1981 National Dean's List.
1978-1979 International Youth in Achievement.
Other Honors, Awards, and Recognitions
2016 Certificate of Outstanding Reviewer, The Internet and Higher Education.
2016 RHSU Edu-Scholar Public Presence Rankings (#69), Recognized among those contributing most substantially to the debate about schools and schooling, Education Week, Rick Hess, January 6, 2016. Available: http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/rick_hess_straight_up/2016/01/the_2016_rhsu_edu-scholar_public_influence_rankings.html?cmp=em1l-enl-eu-news2
2015 Faculty Associate, Center for International Education, Development and Research (CIEDR).
2015 Routledge “Author of the Month” for Education, June 2015, http://www.routledge.com/authors/i7604-curtis-bonk; http://www.taylorandfrancis.com/articles/routledge_education_june_2015_author_of_the_month_curt_bonk/
2015 Editors’ Choice Article (http://www.journals.elsevier.com/the-internet-and-higher-education/editors-choice/), The Internet and Higher Education: Curtis J. Bonk, Mimi Miyoung Lee, Nari Kim, & Meng-Fen Grace Lin. (2009). The tensions of transformation in three cross-institutional wikibook projects. The Internet and Higher Education, 12(3-4), 126-135.
2015 2015 RHSU Edu-Scholar Public Presence Rankings (#73), Recognized among those contributing most substantially to the debate about schools and schooling, Education Week, Rick Hess, January 7, 2015. Available: http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/rick_hess_straight_up/2015/01/2015_rhsu_edu-scholar_public_influence_rankings.html?r=625634063&preview=1
2014 Affiliate Faculty Member: Center for Computer-Mediated Communication, IU.
2014 Affiliate Faculty Member: Southeast Asian Studies Center, Indiana University.
RHSU Edu-Scholar Public Presence Rankings (#86), Recognized among those
contributing most substantially to the debate about schools and schooling,
Education Week, January 8, 2014. Available: http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/rick_hess_straight_up/2014/01/the_2014_rhsu_edu-scholar_public_influence_rankings.html
(see also, The 2014 RHSU Edu-Scholar Public Presence Scoring Rubric, Education Week, Rick Hess, on January 7, 2014.)
2013 Visiting Scholar, November 2013, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan.
2013 Visiting Scholar, November 2013, National Sun Yat-Sen Univ., Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
2013 Visiting Scholar, September 2013, International Christian University, Tokyo, Japan.
2013 Outstanding Reviewer of 2012, Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education, Emerald Literati Network, Emerald Group Publishing, 2013 Awards for Excellence.
RHSU Edu-Scholar Public Presence Rankings (#123), Recognized among those
contributing most substantially to the debate about schools and schooling,
Education Week, January 9, 2013. Available: http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/rick_hess_straight_up/2013/01/the_2013_rhsu_edu-scholar_public_presence_rankings.html
(see also, The 2013 RHSU Edu-Scholar Public Presence Scoring Rubric, Education Week, Rick Hess, on January 9, 2013.)
2013 Online resources from Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) reviewed and published in MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resources for Learning and Online Teaching; http://www.merlot.org/merlot/), January 6, 2013, Teacher Educational Editorial Board, Instructional Ideas and Technology Tools for Online Success, Author: Curtis J. Bonk,
Material Detail: http://www.merlot.org/merlot/viewMaterial.htm?id=699046;
RHSU Edu-Scholar Public Presence Rankings (#108), Recognized among those
contributing most substantially to the debate about schools and schooling,
Education Week, January 4, 2012
http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/rick_hess_straight_up/2012/01/the_2012_rhsu_edu-scholar_public_presence_rankings.html (see also, RHSU Exclusive: The Five-Tool Policy Scholar, Education Week, Rick Hess, on January 3, 2012.
2012 Nominated, Trustees' Teaching Award, Indiana University, School of Education.
2010 Nominated, Faculty Mentor Award, Graduate & Professional Student Organization, Indiana Univ.
Paper Award, Lin, M.-F., Sajjapanroj, S., Bonk, C. J. (2009, June). Wikibooks
and Wikibookians: Loosely-Coupled Community or the Future of the Textbook
Industry?, Ed Media 2009—World Conference on Educational Mul
2008 Sloan-C Effective Practices. Park, Y. J., & Bonk, C. J. Synchronous Teaching and Learning Experiences Mediated by Macromedia Breeze Collaboration Tool and Telephone Conference Tool.
2007 Nominated, Faculty Mentor Award, Graduate & Professional Student Organization, Indiana Univ.
2006 Most frequently downloaded article recognition for manuscript: “Content analysis of an on-line discussion in an applied educational psychology course” by Hara, N., Bonk, C. J., & Angeli, C. (2000). Instructional Science. (7th of top 25 articles).
2006 Visiting Scholar, September 2006, Napier University, Edinburgh, Scotland.
2006 Outstanding Paper Award, Liu, X., Magjuka, R. J., Bonk, C. J., & Lee, S. H. (2006, October). Does sense of community matter? An examination of participants’ perspectives in online courses. E-Learn 2006-The World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, & Higher Education, Honolulu, Hawaii.
1998-2003 Affiliate Faculty Member: Inner Asian & Uralic National Resource Center, IU.
2001-2003 Adjunct Professor at the Univ. of Akron as part of a faculty mentoring program.
2001 Visiting Scholar, June 2001; Univ. of
2001 Army Study Highlights, Applying Collaborative and e-Learning Tools to Military Distance Learning: A Research Framework by C. J. Bonk & Robert A. Wisher (2000), Paper Selected for potential impact upon the Army and the methodology used.
2000-2001 International Ref. Group Member, Flexible Learning Grant, U of Wollongong
2000 Visiting Scholar, August 2000, Univ. of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.
1999 Faculty Affiliate, Cog Science Certificate & Ph.D. Minor in Human Computer Inter.
First Faculty Fellow, Wisdom Tools, Inc,
1998 Visiting Scholar, Nov. 1998, Simon Fraser Univ. & Virtual Univ, Vancouver, CN
1997 Visiting Scholar, May 1997; Univ. of Oulu,
1996-98 Faculty Fellow (for technology research): The Center for Excellence in Educ (CEE).
Named to Lists, Book Featured, and Other Press Received
2012 “The World Is Open” named to list of “The 50 Best Books of All Time,” Education Week, Vander Ark on Innovation Blog, Tom Vander Ark, August 21, 2012, http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/on_innovation/2012/08/the_50_best_books_of_all_time.html
2012 Named to list of “10 Fascinating People in Education in 2012,” Blackboard Blogs, Andrea Meier, December 23, 2012, http://blog.blackboard.com/company/featured/10-fascinating-people-in-education-in-2012/
Self-directed online learning, open education, open educational resources, open learning communities, extreme learning or nontraditional/informal learning with technology or distance education; human development and identity in a highly wired world; participatory learning; global/international education, Web 2.0 and emerging learning technologies; Web-based training and teaching; blended learning; online mentoring; interactive learning environments; collaborative learning tools; adult education; problem-based learning; learning in a social context; collaborative writing technologies; alternative instructional strategies; future learning technologies.
• American Educational Research Association (AERA). SIGs: Instructional Technology; Computer and Internet Applications in Education; Online Teaching and Learning; Informal Learning Environments
• Assoc. for the Advancement of Computing in Ed (AACE)
• Assoc. for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT)
Social Media: LinkedIn, Academia.edu, Facebook, Twitter, TravelinEdMan blog
Student Dissertation Research and Program Advising:
Completed Dissertations: 90 = 4 at WVU + 85 at IU (21 Chair) + 1 at other universities
Current Dissertations: 10 = 6 as Chair or Director + 4 as Member
Completed Master’s Thesis: 1 = 1 as Chair
Completed Programs of Studies: 57 = 1 at WVU + 56 at IU (17 as Chair/Advisor)
Current Programs of Studies: 8 = 6 Doc Advisor, 2 as Minor Member
Sample of Recent Research Activity:
1. Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) Personalization and cultural sensitivity: Researching instructor personalization and cultural sensitivity in a MOOC.
2. Self-Directed Online Learning and Open Education: In a mixed methods design, we are looking at the motivations, successes, challenges and obstacles, and life changes from access to OpenCourseWare (OCW), open educational resources (OER), and massive open online courses (MOOCs).
3. Open Educational Resources (OER): Researched OER use in China and people around the world pushing the open education movement.
4. Flipping the Classroom: Explored how MOOC content could be used to flip the classroom in China and also looking at the flipped classroom model in Korea.
5. Informal/Nontraditional/Extreme Learning: Exploring how people learn or teach from informal learning tools and resources. As part of this, I am attempting to record stories of life change and “empowerment moments” wherein people lives were changed due to their use of technology.
6. Social Network Analysis (SNA) and Blogging in Korea and China: Used social networking analysis to study intellectual and emotional closeness of peers; also explored decentralization, augmented socialization, and the pros and cons of blogging in Asian higher education.
7. Global K-12 Education Research Project: Investigated how teachers in diverse contexts are leveraging collaborative technologies to facilitate a global learning environment (e.g., TakingITGlobal (TIG) and Round Square); how teachers are facilitating these global connections?
8. Wikibooks and Wikibooks in K-12, Higher Ed, and Corporate Settings: Explored cross-institutional Wikibook projects; surveyed and interviewed those who have coordinated, edited, or contributed to Wikibooks. Also, looked at how wikis are used in early childhood education; including teacher philosophy and pedagogies, activities, school support, parental involvement, satisfaction, etc.
9. Synchronous and Asynchronous Online Learning: Various studies over the past 15 years on the role of the instructor in synchronous and asynchronous learning environments, the depth of discussion, and the types of online moderation and interaction. Providing guidelines for synchronous instruction.
E-Learning and Blended Learning: Looked at new directions in e-learning and blended
learning in both higher education and corporate settings in the UK, USA, China,
Taiwan, and Korea via survey research. Explored aspects of the Kelley Direct
Technology Used in Teaching and Research:
1. Course Management Systems: Canvas, WebCT, Blackboard, CourseSites from Blackboard, Oncourse, Sakai, e-education, Virtual University, Nicenet.
2. Synchronous Computer Conferencing Systems: Zoom,